If you guys’ summer is anything like mine, then you’ve had at least half a dozen weddings to attend. Arnie and I are at that point in our lives where all of our siblings, friends, and cousins are getting married. For the last three or four summers, we’ve had tons of weddings to attend (in fact, at last count, I think we had attended over 30 weddings together in the past four years).
Of course, attending that many weddings means you’ll need something to wear for each of them. And of course you don’t want to wear the same dress to all of them, but you also don’t want to spend a ton of money on dresses that you’ll only ever wear once.
Enter Rent the Runway Wedding Guest Attires.
I was really hesitant about using them at first because I’m petite, and off-the-rack styles often don’t work for me. Since Rent The Runway advertises replacement dresses or a refund if the dress you order doesn’t work, I figured it was worth a try.
I’ll be honest, my first go-around wasn’t the best. I ordered a jumpsuit and it was way too big on me. When I called Rent The Runway, the girl helped me pore through the available dresses online to find one that ran smaller and have it overnighted so that it was delivered by noon the next day, in time for the afternoon wedding. They were super accommodating with finding a replacement quickly.
Since then, I’ve rented two additional times for a total of three rentals this summer. I was careful the second two times to only order if the dresses came in petite sizing. It’s a little harder to find the petite options because you can’t search by extended sizes, but you can choose “petite” as a body type.
When it’s time to return the dress, you simply adhere the pre-paid shipping label to the package and drop it at your closest UPS drop off.
So, if you’re thinking of renting a Rent The Runway wedding guest attire, here are a few things I learned:
- Schedule delivery for the day before the event. Most of my events occur on Saturdays. Your rental period is 4 days (which includes delivery and return days). Scheduling delivery the day before the event still gives you plenty of time to have a replacement overnighted (if needed), but also gives you an extra buffer day to return. (Your other option is to set up delivery for two days before the event and return the item the following day. I just prefer to have the extra day on the return side.)
- Filter by body type and size. Once you narrow down the sizing aspect, you’ll have a lot less to comb through. There really are a ton of options, so narrowing your search will make it easier on you. I’ve learned that I cannot wear regular sizing, so I go with petite sizing only.
- Read reviews. If possible, find a reviewer who has similar measurements to your own. That’ll help you to get a baseline of what the dress will look like on you. Don’t forget to also provide your own review so that you can help someone out in the future!
- Have a backup ready. You obviously want to have a backup ready to go just in case your rental doesn’t pan out. I would recommend having a list of “Loves” saved on your RTR account, so that if you need a backup, you have a list to pull from. Of course, it never hurts to have something from your own closet ready to go, if needed.
- Download the mobile app. Having the Rent the Runway app on your phone makes it super easy to switch the shipping address or making changes to your order. For the rental I’m wearing in this post, the 0P wasn’t originally available when I first booked but became available a few weeks later. It was really easy to just switch my size from within the app, and update my order.
I’ve been very happy with my rentals, and the RTR Customer Service has been incredibly helpful with any issues that have come up. If you’ve got an event in the future, I highly recommend giving them a try.
Rent the Runway is perfect for weddings, formal events, bridal gowns, bridesmaid dresses, or even special photographs.
SHOP THIS RENT THE RUNWAY WEDDING GUEST ATTIRE
This is my lovely friend, Moni. We had some time to kill between the wedding and reception and she was kind enough to take these photos for me. Didn’t she do a great job? :) And how pretty is she!! (Her dress is from Banana Republic, by the way.)