If you can’t see it, you won’t wear it.
I build every wardrobe around this concept. An organized place for shoe storage (and the rest of your clothing, for that matter) can be so useful if done in the right way. Today’s post is all about the how to create organized and aesthetically pleasing shoe storage organizer. I’m also sharing my own “Before and After” shoe organization story so you can share my lessons learned.
Organizing any part of your closet is about arranging things in a way that makes sense by making things easily visible and accessible. As an example, let’s take a look at what my shoe closet looked like before I gave it an overhaul.
Now, I know some of you will look at this and think it’s not so bad BUT, we’re talking about me, someone with a cold hard case of organizational OCD. This area of the room drove me nuts. Almost all of my heels were too tall to stand up in this shelf, so I had to lay them down, and because it was an open shelf, things got so dusty, which was most unfortunate for my suede shoes.
THE SOLUTION? THE SHOE CLOSET ORGANIZER!
I found this bookcase at IKEA, and knew it was perfect for several reasons:
- Shelves are adjustable to account for differing heel heights
- Doors keep everything contained and clean
- It works double-duty for handbags and accessories
- Clear doors allow for easy visibility
HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN SHOE CLOSET ORGANIZER
I tried several methods for organizing my shoes over the years, and I’ve found that the following tips work best:
- Organize by category (dress flats, sandals, heels, pumps, booties, etc.)
- Organize by color within each style
- Store most-worn shoes within closest reach, and least-worn shoes at the top and bottom
- Arrange shoes toe to heel; this allows you to see both sides of the shoe and also fit more on the shelf
You can see each of these in play throughout the photos of my own shoe closet organizer below. I think this is one of my favorite organizational projects today; it’s such a great solution for keeping shoes tidy while also functioning as a pretty piece of decor.
Did you like today’s shoe closet organizer post? Would you like to see more organizational solutions like this? Let me know in the comments below.
Loving this shoe closet organizer? Click here now for more closet organization tips!!
Thanks so much for reading and have a great week!