This citrus summer salad with poppyseed dressing is the best salad I’ve ever eaten. We have a friend, Kim (hi Kim!), who makes the world’s best salads. She always finds the freshest produce and crispest greens. She made us this salad when we first moved into our new house, and it was so mouth-wateringly delicious that I’ve been craving it ever since. With summer in full swing, this really simple salad is sure to please!
[This post contains affiliate links.]
CITRUS SUMMER SALAD WITH POPPYSEED DRESSING
When Kim made this citrus summer salad for us, she used whole oranges. We didn’t have any on-hand, so I used mandarin oranges instead. I would say I preferred the full-sized oranges, but these were fine, too. 🤷🏻♀️
The best part of her salads is always the dressing. She never brings a salad unless the dressing is homemade, and it always makes it that much more delicious. Bottom line, this dish is a winner if you’re looking for a simple weeknight side or a take-along dish for a [socially distanced] get-together.
TIPS FOR MAKING THIS CITRUS SUMMER SALAD POP
- Finding the freshest produce is key. Check out your favorite local farmers markets for fresh-from-the-farm finds.
- After rinsing your lettuce, I recommend using a salad spinner to really get rid of excess water and ensure the lettuce is crisp, not soggy. I use this one, and once it’s spun, I store the lettuce in the bowl inside my produce drawer.
- This is my favorite salad dressing container for making homemade dressings. It’s so easy to measure, mix, and store all in one convenient little bottle.
- For a truly standout salad, try using a good quality flavored olive oil. As a Pittsburgher, I am a huge fan of the Olive Tap for locally made flavored olive oils and vinegars. Even if you’re not from Pittsburgh, you can purchase all of their products online. There are so many delicious options, so if you’re having a hard time deciding, you can purchase one of their small sampler bottles to try out a few different flavors. This salad would be delicious with their citrus vinegars or oils, in lieu of the canola oil and apple cider vinegar.
Citrus Summer Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
Grapefruit, oranges, red grapes, red onions, and bib lettuce make up this delicious summer salad.
- 4 grapefruit, cut into thin, round slices
- 4 oranges, cut into thin, round slices
- 2 cups red grapes
- 1 purple onion, cut into thin slices
- 3 heads fresh bib lettuce
- slivered almonds, for topping
Homemade Poppyseed Dressing
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp poppyseeds
If you’re looking for more quick and easy summer recipes, here are a few of my favorites!