To confess, I am by no stretch of the imagination a great cook, but I love food. Trying new restaurants and dishes is one of my favorite things to do, but if you put me in the kitchen, my goal is to get in and get out as quickly as I can! For that reason, I am always on the hunt for simple, yet delicious recipes that, most importantly, don’t take a lot of time.
Enter these slow-cooker chicken tacos.
I’ve been making this recipe for years now; it’s one of my go-to’s for entertaining (or set-it-and-forget-it weekend cooking). I’m a huge taco lover in general, but I also love how pretty and fresh they look, despite requiring minimal effort. To me, one of the great things about tacos is that they work for a variety of dietary needs. I’ve made this recipe for low-sodium and dairy-free friends, because it’s so easily adapted.
(Side note: if making this low sodium, I do not use taco seasoning, but rather 1 Tb. chili powder, 1 tsp. cumin and 1 tsp. oregano)
If you’re having a small get together with friends or family, this recipe is perfect for beautiful, make-ahead entertaining. If you give it a try, let me know how it goes!
Host your own taco bar:
Pin it for later!
Easy and delicious slow cooker tacos with mango slaw are the perfect recipe for summer entertaining!
5 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 5 Total Time
Yields 4-6 servings
- 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 c. orange juice
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 packet of taco seasoning (I use chicken taco seasoning)
- 1/4 c. water
- 1 bag Trader Joe's Organic Shredded Red & Green Cabbage with Shredded Carrots, or other slaw mix
- 1/2 c. Trader Joe's Sweet & Spicy Mango Vinaigrette Dressing, or similar dressing
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- cotija cheese
- sliced limes
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- Add chicken, seasoning, garlic, juices and water to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- While chicken is cooking, mix together the slaw mix and dressing. Place in refrigerator until chicken is finished cooking.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. Use two forks to shred into small pieces.
- Top corn tortilla with chicken, slaw mix, cojita cheese, and sour cream (if desired). Sprinkle lime juice on taco, and top with fresh cilantro.